Appreciated by the Imperial family and others, special silver from Ginza.
The name of Tokyo’s Ginza district originates from the Edo-era silver coin casting works based there, and the Japanese word for silver: ‘gin’. Today, within the distinctive Tokyo bustle of the modern Ginza shopping district, remains a specialist silver shop with a history of over one hundred years. Miyamoto Shoko was established in 1880, initially offering tobacco cases aimed at the foreign market, and ‘zoukan’ silver inlay frames – before broadening its product range. Prioritising works in silver of high quality and durability, Miyamoto Shoko found early admirers among foreign resident merchants and diplomatic presences in the Tokyo environs. Also among the Imperial family, who granted the Royal warrant that Miyamoto Shoko retains today. Their work adorns the table at the royal guesthouse, and the banquets held for visiting dignitaries. The reason that the shop’s silver is sought after, lies in its failure to fade after many years of use, the universal ‘classic’ feel to the work, and the minute patterning added to the pieces by expert craftspeople. At their original location in Ginza, Miyamoto Shoko offers forks, spoons, knives and the cutlery to be expected, but also glasses, tea utensils, sake tableware, and even silver accessories for special occasions. With a millesimal fineness of more than 925, (92.5% pure silver), Miyamoto Shoko’s products are often passed between generations of users. If this was not sufficient, in the shop they offer polishing and repair services that assist the pieces in their many years of use.